Explore Your Creative Spirit In Venice
Experience the magic of Venice through your camera’s lens.
"Richard Martin’s intelligent and caring workshop philosophy is based on a great deal of experience, both as participant and instructor. The creativity of his vision, images, and teaching is inspiring."
What You'll Do
Walk The City
We will be adding private boat tours, including a day long trip to the Lido to explore the fishing village of Malamocco and the colourful island of Palestrina. In addition there will be a half day cruise thru the small canals. Venice is surprisingly compact and most of the sights can be comfortably visited on foot; in fact you can cross the entire city in about an hour. One of the great pleasures of exploring Venice is walking in the absence of traffic.
Explore The Labyrinth Of Venice
We will explore the labyrinth of alleys, side canals, courtyards, cloisters and secluded gardens for the many photographic opportunities, which exist behind the scenes. Photographing reflections in the canals and abstract patterns from the countless bridges.
Cruise The Canal
Making time exposures at sunset recording the activity of gondolas moving along the Grand Canal, from atop one of its three main bridges. Or simply getting lost, deep into the residential and working areas of this maze like city to photograph the people at work and play.
Experience Colourful Burano
There will be two separate day trips to Burano, the most colourful of the lagoon islands, with its waterways lined by brightly painted houses and a trip to the timeless garden like cemetery on the island of San Michele to photograph angels and other splendid Italian sculpture.
What Our Participants Say
“My photography journey has benefitted tremendously from Richard's generosity in sharing his creative vision and skill, which combined with his love of humour and fun makes learning a cinch.”
– Alice Yen Yong
“Richard Martin, along with Freeman Patterson liberated my generation of Canadian photographers from the rule-bound shackles of camera club tradition.”
– Larry Monczka
“The reason I travel with Richard as often as possible is because I know I will be inspired, I know I will be pushed to see differently, I know I will be challenged creatively and I know I will laugh… a lot.”
– Sally Harris
“It was great to have the opportunity to travel with Richard and see his exceptional eye for color, shape and texture in action. He has a wonderful gift.”
– Jim Graham
“[Richard] is truly a born teacher, always available to participants, and I always go home not only having had a good time but feeling that I have grown creatively.”
– Mary Macey Butler
“What impresses me is that how [Richard] "sees." There were times on the trips that he saw pictures in the midst of chaos. He is very approachable, has a great sense of humour and just plain good company both while photographing or socializing. He takes photography and teaching to another level that I have not seen from other professionals.”
– Gene Morita
Meet Your Teacher
A long-time contributor to Photo Life magazine, Richard pursues photography as a medium of visual expression. He is a deeply committed instructor who guides participants on a voyage of personal rediscovery on his photography tours around the world. His passion and insight help the student in opening up the creative doors and to reflect on the special qualities that dwell within them.
A good instructor should have the ability to move people – connecting them with their emotions. Reinforcing to participants the fact that fine images are made with their hearts and souls not their thousand-dollar lens.
Qualities That Make A Good Instructor
Some of the qualities which contribute to a good instructor include:
- Instructors should be deeply committed to the process of making images, while possessing honesty and integrity in their own work.
- They should encourage individual ways of seeing and expressing, and should NEVER impose their own views on students.
- One who enjoys sharing their knowledge, without ego! – this aspect is very important. One who is always accessible to participants, being available for assistance, and dividing time fairly between students.
- One who can guide participants on a voyage of personal rediscovery, opening up doors and helping students reflect on the special qualities that dwell within them.
What You'll Learn
Friday, October 6th – Sunday, October 15th, 2017
Day 1: Friday, October 6th
Travel day for participants to arrive and settle into hotel.
Enrolment for tour is limited to 9 participants.
Our tour itinerary has been designed specifically for serious photographers, to ensure that more concentrated time is spent in the most photogenic areas. In addition to individual attention in the field, time will be spent reviewing participants work while learning digital workflow and visual design. Instruction is kept flexible to accommodate a changing itinerary and varying skill levels of the participants, and to allow for spontaneous photographic opportunities.
The overall format includes a balance of early morning, day and evening field trips to a variety of scenic locations.
There will be an opportunity for informal review of work throughout the trip, from a technical, compositional and aesthetic point of view. There will also be free time to allow for personal exploration.
Venice Photo Tour Pricing
- 9 nights accommodation including breakfasts (based on double occupancy).
- 7-Day Vaporetto pass for canal and Lagoon transportation.
- Full day private boat trip to the Lido, Malamocco and the island of Palestrina.
- Half day private boat trip exploring the small canals in Venice.
- Photographic Instruction and feedback, including private boat tours.
- Any airfare, departure & airport taxes and fees, passport and visa services & fees.
- Baggage, equipment, medical and cancellation insurance.
- Beverages with meals, meals other than mentioned above, tips and gratuities.
- Tips to drivers, guides and escorts, any tour or transportation services on days stated as free days.
- Tips to porterage and maid service.
- Personal expenses such as laundry, telephone, taxi, excess baggage etc.
- Travel insurance and optional tours, etc.
- Transportation to and from the airport and transportation outside the scope of the organized tour event.
To Ready Enrich Your Visual Life?
Whether you’re interested in developing your own visual style or expanding your knowledge or craft, attending a workshop or tour may turn out to be one of the best investments you make towards enriching your visual life.
Not Quite Sure Yet?
Why not visit our contact page, we would love to answer any questions you may have!
Senior Travel Consultant
Merit Group Tours
186 Princess Street
Kingston, Ontario K7K 1B1
(613) 549-3342 ext. 3375
Toll Free (866) 341-1777 ext. 3375