Explore Your Creative Spirit In Morocco
Experience the mystique of Morocco through your camera’s lens.
"Richard Martin’s intelligent and caring workshop philosophy is based on a great deal of experience, both as participant and instructor. The creativity of his vision, images, and teaching is inspiring."
What You'll Do
Step Into The Rhythm of Morocco
Morocco is a stunningly beautiful and photogenic country. A place of great diversity, you will experience local culture, bustling souks or local markets, ancient medinas and incredible natural landscapes which all lend themselves to amazing photographic opportunities.
Soak In The Colour
Highlights include Essaouira the 18th century town on the Atlantic coastline with its crescent beach and colourful medina filled with stonework and blue shuttered houses.
Immerse Yourself In The Sights & Sounds
Immerse yourself in the sights and sounds of Marrakech. Experience unique Berber villages and picturesque mountain scenery on the way to Zagora. Enjoy a scenic drive along the mountainous edge of the desert to Ouarzazate “the Moroccan Hollywood”.
Witness The Dunes At Sunset
Travel into the heart of Berber country on route to Merzouga for a memorable camel ride to the dunes of Erg Chebbi for sunset and sunrise.
Explore An Enchanted World
Walk the enchanted medieval world of narrow lanes and souks in Fes, Morocco’s oldest imperial city and symbolic heart. Explore the labyrinth of streets in the blue town of Chefchaouen high up in the Rif Mountains. Wander through the 12th century ‘little blue town’ Kasbah Ouayada in Rabat.
What Our Participants Say
“My photography journey has benefitted tremendously from Richard's generosity in sharing his creative vision and skill, which combined with his love of humour and fun makes learning a cinch.”
– Alice Yen Yong
“Richard Martin, along with Freeman Patterson liberated my generation of Canadian photographers from the rule-bound shackles of camera club tradition.”
– Larry Monczka
“The reason I travel with Richard as often as possible is because I know I will be inspired, I know I will be pushed to see differently, I know I will be challenged creatively and I know I will laugh… a lot.”
– Sally Harris
“It was great to have the opportunity to travel with Richard and see his exceptional eye for color, shape and texture in action. He has a wonderful gift.”
– Jim Graham
“[Richard] is truly a born teacher, always available to participants, and I always go home not only having had a good time but feeling that I have grown creatively.”
– Mary Macey Butler
“What impresses me is that how [Richard] "sees." There were times on the trips that he saw pictures in the midst of chaos. He is very approachable, has a great sense of humour and just plain good company both while photographing or socializing. He takes photography and teaching to another level that I have not seen from other professionals.”
– Gene Morita
Meet Your Teacher
A long-time contributor to Photo Life magazine, Richard pursues photography as a medium of visual expression. He is a deeply committed instructor who guides participants on a voyage of personal rediscovery on his photography tours around the world. His passion and insight help the student in opening up the creative doors and to reflect on the special qualities that dwell within them.
A good instructor should have the ability to move people – connecting them with their emotions. Reinforcing to participants the fact that fine images are made with their hearts and souls not their thousand-dollar lens.
Qualities That Make A Good Instructor
Some of the qualities which contribute to a good instructor include:
- Instructors should be deeply committed to the process of making images, while possessing honesty and integrity in their own work.
- They should encourage individual ways of seeing and expressing, and should NEVER impose their own views on students.
- One who enjoys sharing their knowledge, without ego! – this aspect is very important. One who is always accessible to participants, being available for assistance, and dividing time fairly between students.
- One who can guide participants on a voyage of personal rediscovery, opening up doors and helping students reflect on the special qualities that dwell within them.
What You'll Learn
Tuesday, April 26th – Sunday, May 8th, 2016
Day 1: Arrive Casablanca, Essaouira (4.5 hours)
Welcome to Morocco! On arrival in Casablanca, we shall be met by our national guide. We’ll board our private van and transfer to our hotel in Essaouira. Since the 18th century Essaouira has drawn poets, scholars and craftsmen from all over Morocco. You will see this firsthand, as we explore on foot through the medina, with its art galleries and wood workshops where craftsmen sell silver jewelry.
Overnight and Dinner: Palais Des Remparts
Enrolment for tour is limited to 8 participants.
Our tour itinerary has been designed specifically for serious photographers, to ensure that more concentrated time is spent in the most photogenic areas. In addition to individual attention in the field, time will be spent reviewing participants work while learning digital workflow and visual design. Instruction is kept flexible to accommodate a changing itinerary and varying skill levels of the participants, and to allow for spontaneous photographic opportunities.
There will be an opportunity for informal review of work throughout the trip, from a technical, compositional and aesthetic point of view. There will also be free time to allow for personal exploration.
Morocco Photo Tour Pricing
- Arrival and Departure Airport transfers (one transfer vehicle per way for entire group).
- 12 nights accommodation including breakfasts, lunches and dinners.
- Sightseeing as per the itinerary with English speaking private guide including all entrance fees, local taxes and fees.
- Tour with a private A/C vehicle.
- Photographic Instruction and feedback.
- Any airfare, departure & airport taxes and fees, passport and visa services & fees.
- Baggage, equipment, medical and cancellation insurance.
- Beverages with meals, meals other than mentioned above, tips and gratuities.
- Tips to drivers, guides and escorts, any tour or transportation services on days stated as free days.
- Tips to porterage and maid service.
- Personal expenses such as laundry, telephone, taxi, excess baggage etc.
- Travel insurance and optional tours, etc.
*Tour cost based upon minimum of 8 paying participants. There will be a small group surcharge if enrolment is 6-7 participants.
Ready To Enrich Your Visual Life?
Whether you’re interested in developing your own visual style or expanding your knowledge or craft, attending a workshop or tour may turn out to be one of the best investments you make towards enriching your visual life.
Not Quite Sure Yet?
Why not visit our contact page, we would love to answer any questions you may have!